South/Southwest Austin New Home Communities Update
There are still a number of active new home communities in south and southwest Austin below US 71/290. Clearly, the downturn in the US and area economy has affected all of them. Stats reported by the Austin Business Journal show that new home starts are up in the area, but not nearly at the level of 2007 or even 2008. Most of the homes that new home builders are putting up are from contracts with buyers for "to-be-built" homes. There are some exceptions to this "rule," however.
Since my previous blog on new home communities in south and southwest Austin, there have been a number of noteworthy changes. In the update that follows, the links are to neighborhood and or homes-for-sale pages on my HeartofAustinHomes.com website. The updates are mostly for neighborhoods in the 78745, 78748, 78749, and 78739 zip codes.
1. Bauerle Ranch and The Estates at Bauerle Ranch, both developed by D.R. Horton Homes, have been completed.
2. Independence, a "throwback" community of old-style new homes just past Stassney on Manchaca, has been purchased from Newmark Homes by Scott Felder Homes. I have a client who seems genuinely interested in purchasing a home in Independence later this year.
3. In Brodie Springs, builders Taylor Morrison and Grand Haven Homes are both trying to be more competitive in the current market and have introduced some lower priced models. Homes in this lovely neighborhood, located just south of W. Slaughter on Brodie, are still beyond the reach of most home buyers. Grand Haven Homes base prices begin just under $330k; Taylor Morrison's homes begin in the $360s. A client of mine recently closed on a home in Brodie Springs.
4. Southpark Meadows is doing better after a rocky start. It was evident that the timing of the start of home-building by Buffington and Saldana Homes in this neighborhood couldn't have been much worse. Buffington has now sold its six initial homes; Saldana still has 2 or 3 of its homes left to sell. Late last week, neither builder had started any additional new homes.
5. The same five builders are still in play at the Bridges at Bear Creek, located at the southern end of Brodle Lane. Mercedes, Buffington and Lennar have all sold some homes in the neighborhood. Scott Felder has a couple of lovely single-story homes available in the estates section. Randy Rollo has not yet started any homes in the neighborhood.
6. Brodie Heights Condominiums: Though many of these condos (3/unit) have been built and sold, developer D.R. Horton is not doing any building at this time.
7. Sweetwater Glen: These stand-alone, single-family condos have been popular with new home buyers. Builder D. R. Horton recently began development of a new section, and is building some spec homes there. Homes are mostly Hardiplank type siding with muted pastel paint colors.
8. Sage Meadow is one of the new developments in this area. Just opened by D. R. Horton, Sage Meadow features homes ranging in size from 1,299 - 1,856 sq. ft., and in price from the mid-$160s to the low $180s. No completed homes are available at this time.
9. Gabardine, "a tailored pocket of Shady Hollow," is a new development just west of Brodie Lane on Frate Barker Road. It features "flats" and "cottages" built by David Weekley Homes. These units range in size from 1,173 - 1,448 sq. ft., and feature tailoring names such as Poplin, Oxford, Jersey and Woolsey. There are six 2, 3 and 4 bedroom models. Prices range from the $150s to the low-$200s.
10. Enclave at Westgate: My wife and I drove through this new neighborhood last week. Several homes are completed. The builder (CottageCraft Homes) describes the 48 homes to be completed there as "contemporary cottage-style homes." Four floor plans are available in sizes ranging from 1,540 sq. ft. to 1,713 sq. ft. Prices begin in the $200s. If you are looking for a home with "stand-out" color, this subdivision may be for you!
11. The 3 neighborhoods near the south end of S. 1st St. (The Oak at Twin Creeks-KB Home, Meadows at Double Creek-Newmark/Scott Felder, and Ashbrooke-Centex) are still in various stages of development.
12. La Vid is another cottage-style new home (condo) development by Certified Homes, located at 6708 Manchaca. There are 37 1- and 2-story units to be built in La Vid. I showed some of these homes recently. Nice! It looked like almost half of the development is complete. Prices bening at about $220,000.
13. Some building is continuing in Circle C West/Hielschier by Streetman Homes (Stone Creek), D.R. Horton (Alta Mira) and KB Home (The Enclave, Fairway Estates and Enclave Estates).
14. Rose Glen, a small subdivision being built by Meritage Homes, has one home under construction and 6 more to be built. Prices begin around the $250s. This development is located just south of Ben White and just east of Manchaca Rd.
15. Building by Meritage and D. R. Horton is continuing in Rancho Alto, located on Frate Barker Road between Brodie Lane and Manchaca Rd.
16. For home buyers wanting something a bit further out and maybe a bit more expensive than most neighborhoods in this update, take a look at Meridian (at Circle C), which has a number of builders participating in that development, and Rim Rock, a bit further out on FM-1826 just past Salt Lick BBQ. Lennar, Mercedes and custom builders are building in the various sections of Rim Rock.
17. You might also consider two new home communities just west of Buda: Whispering Hollow and Garlic Creek.
Is it a good time to buy a new home? That depends on your dreams and budget. With the slowdown of sales of both resale and new homes, there is a lot of competition for the buyer's dollar. Builders are typically offering incentives; sellers of resale homes are also finding that they need to be flexible on how much they ask for their homes. Don't expect a miracle, but do look for a good deal. It is also wise to be represented by a Realtor in a new home purchase.
I would love to assist you in your purchase of a home (new or resale). Please give me a call at 512.913.1557, or drop me an email.
Jim Gilbert, REALTOR, Heart of Austin Homes
Licensed (#0536692) to sell Real Estate in the State of Texas